Sunday, February 27, 2011

Looks can be deceiving

Well, what I thought would be the easiest slipcover job so far turned out to be the hardest. I won't go into too much detail, but I ended up having to do them twice!  Anyway, in the end they came out great and I learned a lot!
 Here are the before pictures (sorry about the mess in that room!)
A modern sectional with 3 pieces- two larger end pieces and a corner piece

Well, between my customer moving house, the stiff fabric, the limited amount of time I was actually able to spend working with the furniture and my inexperience with pieces like these, my first attempt looked like this. You can see that the piping was all bumpy and the corners looked terrible!
Well, my client didn't like them either and asked if I could re-do them without the piping. She let me take the pieces home which made it so much easier!  Here is the end result.. (not every wrinkle was smoothed before the pictures were taken!)
one end piece

front seam of end piece (used the piping on the bottom)

back of end piece (sorry about the giant wrinkle)
corner front

other end


  1. Dont you love Shelley's video. This work is very good. You are really doing a good job. I always have the furniture in my workroom. It is so much easier for me!

  2. Thanks for the encouragement! I was pretty frustrated with these pieces (which I thought would be so easy)! All's well that end's well..